This became apparent at a fairly young age, when I was given a locker in middle school. Other kids personalized theirs with posters, family photos, mirrors, wrapping paper...
Me? I never put up anything. Oh, I always meant to. Just about everyday when I opened the dang thing or when I looked at my friends' snazzy decorative lockers, I'd think, "I really should decorate my locker. That'd be fun." But I was always too busy and too poorly motivated to do anything.
One of my friends went off on a rant once about people who didn't take time to decorate their lockers. "That's the only thing we can make our own in this place. Why wouldn't people take advantage of it???" Well... As I got older I tried harder. I did put up things in my locker occasionally, and when I got a lockermate, she helped improve things.
Then I came off to college. Over the years I have been blessed with many talented roomies who love to decorate. I watch them arrange things and drool over Crate and Barrel magazines and I've pondered how one day I need to be more into that. You know, when I have my own place and more disposable income, or something. Hopefully when I get to that point, I will be more into things.
For now, I've been trying slowly to build up my talents. Like today, when I went to the poster sale at the Bookstore. I have a lovely large blank wall in my room, I figured some posters would be just the thing to brighten it up! Except there was only one poster that really appealed to me, and it was pretty small.
Pretty epic, right? I love it! I was excited to come and set it up in my room. But... there was an awful lot of space on that blank wall, and I've never been particularly good at knowing where to place things so they look good...
So basically I think what I've done is highlight all the empty space that I have left, instead of making it seem like there's less of it. Clearly some rearranging is in order. I'm thinking I should probably have put it lower down, maybe just above the bookcase or something. We'll see. I'll play around with it! I also feel like I need to get more posters to help that wall, but I don't want it to end up cluttered either. Also... my days as a college kid are numbered. Posters are fun for a college kid's apartment, but once I'm a real grown-up out there, they probably shouldn't be my main decorating tool.
Oh well. For now I have gone ahead and purchased another poster to add to my collection. Is this adorable or what? And so appropriate for BYU! :)
hahaha Shelece I love you! This no decorating sense must run in the family cause I sure dont have any. I have been looking at a lot of crafty cute blogs lately to figure out what to do for Kayla's room. Where do they get so many awesome ideas??? Right now her room is a blank slate.
ReplyDeleteMaybe its because I didn't spend anytime at the craft tables at girls camp...
My living room has a throw pillow...go me! I hope it matches.
p.s. that is a cool poster!
ReplyDeleteThe best way to make posters look more grown up is to use frames. Group photos in odd numbers-3, 5, or 7. Also, go to ikea and look at the display rooms!
ReplyDelete@Emily-I am glad I'm not the only one! It's good to know it's a family thing. :)
ReplyDelete@Katie-Thanks for the tips! Those are really good ideas. Plus I am always up for an excuse to go to Ikea. :)