Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Words

I have always loved words.


I decided when I was three years old that I wanted to be a writer. I knew that only grown-up people could be writers though, so I was going to have to wait until I grew up. I waited and waited all day long, and by the time my father got home from work, I couldn't stand it anymore. I didn't even know how to write my name yet, but I dictated my very first book to my mom that evening. It was about Barkley from Sesame Street. I drew pictures to illustrate it. Since Barkley was too hard for me to draw, I always made him a tiny little dot in the distance.


My love language is called words of affirmation. For those not familiar with the concept of Love Languages, it is basically the idea that we each have a particular favorite way in which to receive love. For some, they feel most loved when they receive a gift, or when a loved one spends quality time with them. Some feel most loved through service, others through touch. And then there are those like me who benefit most from words. Oh, I can feel love through the other love languages, but for me there is nothing more powerful than being told "I love you." I would choose a heartfelt note over a gift any day. Words are life to me. Kind words are never forgotten, and harsh words crush me more than most.


I've noticed that words play a powerful role in how God speaks to me, as well. Of course He knows my love language. :) We all know that reading the scriptures brings us closer to God, but I find that I often feel His love in words of truth I stumble across in fiction books or in song lyrics. When I am upset, I find that He often brings words from literature or music into my mind, to bring me the comfort that I need.


Words are power. One of the apostles in my Church, Elder M. Russell Ballard, has said that "There is truth in the old adage that 'the pen is mightier than the sword.' In many cases, it is with words that you will accomplish the great things that you will now set out to do."I think that this is true for all of us. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this! and you :3 I never thought about how God will try to talk to us using our love language, that's really neat! It makes total sense, too. It also makes sense when I think about how my love language is quality time, and how can you feel love from someone you can't see? That is what's hard for me. But the more I go about it I realize it's the feeling I get when I spend time with people, and when I take the time to read the scriptures I really feel like I'm spending time with Him. It's so curious, really, how much He really is just waiting for us to come to Him so He can spend time with us and really let us know that He loves us.

    Thanks for this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too, Rachael! :) I'm glad you enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete