Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Living the Dream

My cousin Natalie always "It will all work out." My parents always say that when you look back in life, you'll see that things did work out. I think I'm finally getting old enough that I can really start to have that experience. :)

If you asked me a year ago where I wanted to be now (you know, in the midst of my quarter-life crisis as I tried to figure out what to do after grad school), I would have told you that I really wanted to stay in Provo. I wanted to stay at BYU, I wasn't ready to give that up. But at the same time, I wanted to be done with school. I wanted to get a job doing research. If I could have picked any topic to focus on, I would pick marriage education, like what I'd studied in my program, but I realized I would be lucky to even get to research a family topic. I didn't even think there was anyway I could use my writing skills in the relationship education arena, besides an occasional post in the blog I made for my family life education class.

But here I am. Living in Provo, working my absolute dream job, researching marriage education and also having the chance to write for a marriage ed blog (and even run social media on the topic!). It occurred to me yesterday that I really am living out my dreams right now. I could not have designed a more perfect situation for myself, and I am so grateful that God guided me to this position. Looking back, I don't think it was a coincidence that I was nudged away from family therapy and onto the marriage education pathway. I don't think it was a coincidence things lined up so that I learned how much I loved research and self-directed methods of education.

Things really did work out. They always do, eventually. I need to remember this in the other areas of my life, too.

1 comment: