Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Tech Generation

Tonight I got to spend some time with my cousins. The six year old proudly showed me his new smart watch. I had no idea they made child versions of these things (much cheaper than the adult versions, I'm sure). I don't think he's learned how to tell time yet, but there he was, playing games on his watch.

His watch also comes with a camera. He showed me several videos he's taken of things going on in his life, like the time he hid his brother's dinosaur toys (in a treasure hunt game that his brother quite enjoyed) or the time his sister painted her bedroom wall.

We live in a super tech world. I'm used to seeing glimpses of younger people's lives--teenagers especially--in the videos and photos they take. But it was very interesting to see what a six year old would record. And all of these videos are taken from a six year old's height, reminding me of what it was like when everything and everyone is so much bigger than  you are.

Kids just get more and more tech savvy all the time. What are my kids going to be like?

1 comment: