Confession: I almost got a puppy today.
I've been watching the Humane Society and Craigslist pages for weeks, even though I know I should wait until I've got my own place and I'm in a more stable position.
Well, last night someone posted an adorable little dachshund puppy named Molly. They said that she was really sweet and friendly with everyone. They couldn't keep her because they already had a German Shepherd and their landlord told them they could only have one dog.
Just look at that sweet little face!
I got as far as emailing AND texting to ask if I could come see her, knowing full well that if I did, I'd bring her home. They said, "Hey, yeah." And then I hesitated.
I kept reminding myself that if I got Molly and she lived as long as Max, I'd have her well into my forties, and who knows what would happen during that time? What if my husband or kids ended up being allergic? Or what if the guy I'm going to marry already has a dog that doesn't get along with her? My life is so busy, I asked myself if I really had time for a puppy.
While I was struggling with all this for about an hour, the ad disappeared off Craigslist, and I realized I'd missed my shot. I still texted asking when a good time would be, and the woman said she'd been adopted by a loving elderly couple. I was pretty disappointed and a little bit mad at myself, but... to be fair, I don't think it would have made a difference if I texted back earlier. I was planning on going to see her after work, and that couple would have beat me!
It's a tough dog market in Colorado Springs! Dogs get snatched up from the Humane Society in a few days, the rescues I'm following seem to get slammed with applicants for a lot of their dogs, and Craigslist turns over fast...
But, this is all for the best. I'm really not in a good place to get a dog!
I think I am officially banning myself from looking at dogs anymore. I'm at the brink of caving in.


What a cutie! Sorry the timing isn't right yet. I look forward to the day when I will see an update that doesn't have "almost" before "got a dog". ;)
ReplyDelete