Thursday, August 24, 2017

Total Eclipse

Trevor and I had an awesome weekend! First we headed up to Breckenridge with a group of his friends from Boulder. We stayed at one friend's grandma's cabin (a gorgeous three story place complete with a backyard! The women slept on the top floor, and the men slept in the basement). On Friday night we celebrated our arrival with a bonfire and s'mores. Trevor has completely mastered the art of roasting marshmallows--seriously, he can make them perfect.

Then on Saturday we got up early to drive up to Glenwood Springs. First up we hiked Hanging Lake--a beautiful hike that I think is one of my favorites. I went there once as a kid for a family reunion. It was even prettier than I remembered!





And I guess we had good timing, because I read in the news today that they are closing it soon for trail maintenance, and once it reopens, they are going to limit the number of hikers and possibly start charging a fee.

After that it was back to Glenwood Springs to wander around and check out the town. In the evening we headed back to Breckenridge. We found an amazing restaurant called Soupz On, which I give 5 stars for customer service, cost, and great food. It was about half an hour from closing when we got there. We ordered the broccoli cheddar soup and the woman working there gave us a discount because she didn't feel like there was much broccoli in it. Some bread came with our meal, and she loaded us up with lots of extra since she was about to close anyways.

On Sunday, we went to church in Frisco (such a beautiful place right up in the mountains!) and then spent our time in the cabin working on life and wedding planning. (I admit at one point I convinced Trevor to take the Myers-Briggs test--turns out he is an INFJ just like me! That explains many things.)

Then on Monday, we drove up to Wyoming to see the total eclipse. We were heading for a town called Glendo (population 200--I think they ended up with like 100,000 guests!) but we decided to pull over a little early and park along a frontage road. I think we had the perfect spot.




Totality was amazing! The sun completely disappeared behind the moon, and it was safe to look up at with our naked eyes. A few stars came out. We had a 360 view of "sunsets" on the horizon (take a look at the video to see what I mean). It felt like a once in a lifetime experience.... but I'm also determined to make it to all the solar eclipses we can in the future! (Here's looking at you, 2024!)



Once totality was over we headed back to Colorado to beat the traffic, and I think we did for the most part--we made it back by 7 or so.

Anyway, it was an awesome weekend and I'm excited for more adventures in our future!

No comments:

Post a Comment