Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Quest for a Dress

You guys! I may have just scored my dream dress for my wedding! I hope I hope I hope!

I've had this one particular dress pinned to my wedding board for years.... THE dream dress, one that reminds me quite a bit of Cinderella (okay, so my inner child is in play here....). But unfortunately it was discontinued last year. It's sort of a unique style, and I couldn't find anything else quite like it.

I got over it. There are so many pretty wedding dresses in the world! But it's hard to find ones that fit LDS standards--that requires a high back, sleeves, and a higher neckline. That's nigh unto impossible to find outside of the Mormon belt (Utah, Idaho, Arizona) although I did find a couple possibilities here in town. There are some very kind women at some of the bridal salons here that know all about LDS standards who were happy to work with me.

I was also perusing my options online, but even there things were tricky. I needed to find something in stock because it usually takes 4-6 months to order in a wedding dress, and I need something by November!

As the first month of my engagement ticked by with absolutely no luck in my wedding dress search, I started to panic a little bit. Last week in a desperate attempt to cast a wider net, I tried different search terms on Google. I think I typed in something like "modest wedding dresses shipping". I'd thought that I'd found all the modest dresses on the whole internet, but that brought up a lot more options. Including Petals and Promises, a bridal shop in Logan Utah with a very wide stock. As I looked through their pictures, I was surprised to stumble upon my dream dress.... on sale, since it had been discontinued... and yes, it was in my size!! I read the store policies and was over the moon to find out they do ship dresses to other locations.

A little more searching, and I found the same dress at a place in Murray Utah, again in my size (what are the odds?). Unfortunately that place doesn't ship, but I felt good having a backup.

Of course, ordering this dress online is a bit of a risk. I've never tried it on. Beautiful as it is, it might not look good on my body type, or it might not hit my waist just right, or something like that. There's also a chance it will be too small. The waists in this brand of dress run very small--everything hinges on whether there is enough seam allowance to take it out to fit me.

But I decided to go for it. I'll have 36 hours to return it after it gets here, if it doesn't work. At Petals and Promises recommendation, I've set up an appointment with a seamstress to take a look and let me know if it's a good fit.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!! How perfect would it be if my random internet search lead me to the dress of my dreams? (And how disappointing if it doesn't! Oh well, we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.)

(PS: If you're wondering why I'm not including any pics.... it's because I think part of the fun of the wedding day is surprising people with your dress! But if you are really curious and you ask nicely, I will probably show you.)


1 comment:

  1. I think you should send me a link 😊 please please please! I promise I can keep a secret!

    ReplyDelete