Saturday, July 13, 2019
7 Years with HRC
I was hired by Healthy Relationships California on July 12, 2012.
That means I've been with my company for seven years!! That's longer than I was at BYU for both degrees. I remember when I first joined the company, it seemed like everyone else had been there for years and years. I felt like such a newbie.... which I was, of course.
Over the past 7 years, I've learned so much from my time with HRC. I'd like to think I'm a lot more professional than the new grad they decided they could train up. :) I've been part of a Healthy Marriage grant, a Responsible Fatherhood grant, and a contract for psychosocial education courses in the San Diego County jails. I've written up research reports and government reports. I've written for blogs and newsletters, and who can forget the years I spent responsible for updating the Facebook and Twitter pages every morning? I've learned to negotiate with workbook companies and keep track of inventories. I've updated our websites and monitored our incoming traffic. And I've worked with so many inspirational, talented people. All of this while working from home and almost never in an office setting!
Sometimes I've ventured outside my home. I've had business trips to California, first bimonthly and now more like biannually (which has worked out nice, now that I have a little family I hate to leave behind). I've gone to government conferences in DC (last time with a tour of national monuments with my bosses) and an excellent National Association of Relationship and Marriage Education conference in Anaheim (with an evening trip to Disneyland with my coworkers). I've met some of my heroes from my grad school studies, because my bosses seem to know everyone in the field.
I'm so grateful for my time with this company. When I was little and you asked me what I'd be when I grew up, I didn't foresee a career in family research. But it is such a good fit for me. I'm glad life has worked out the way it has.
Labels:
work
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment