Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Parenting Transitions during a Pandemic

 The last few years have been rough, for everyone.

For me, it was hard that my transition to parenthood hit about the same time as the pandemic. Matthew was born in January 2020. We kept him home for 6 weeks while his little body built immunity. He made it out to church twice, and out to 2 shopping trips. I remember we took him clothes shopping at the mall. I'd been isolated for the last 6 weeks and it felt like the world had ended, but here we were out in public again and life was normal.

Then poor little guy got very very sick with some cold virus which turned into bronchiolitis. So we kept him at home and BOOM. Everything shuts down for the pandemic.

It was really rough for me figuring out how to navigate the pandemic as a new parent. We basically kept Matthew at home for the first 18 months of his life. I'm a hermit at heart and the pandemic really shrunk my comfort zone. I don't think I've recovered yet.  And now I have two little kiddos and no experience taking a baby in public, which has been interesting. Normally I would be a pro at this by now, but since Matthew couldn't go anywhere as an infant it's like my first time figuring this stuff out, even simple stuff like how do you shop at Target when the cart is barely big enough to fit the baby's car seat? But I'm doing it at the same time I learn to have a toddler in public too, and how to manage two kiddos by myself. It's just a lot. But it is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment