Thursday, March 15, 2012

Goodreads Addiction

Okay, I admit it, I am addicted to Goodreads. I love being able to share with all my friends what I am reading. I love being able to see what books my friends are reading. I love checking to see if my friends have already read a book, and then accessing their reviews to help me decide whether or not I want to read it, too.

I also love just surfing through my friends' to-read lists to see what new books are coming out.

Today I found three that I am really excited for. I would probably run out and find a copy today... except then I looked a bit closer and saw that none of these books have actually been released yet. (Ahhhh... dang it... why???)

Note to self: If I ever do become a published author, I need to get my books up on Goodreads in advance and build up anticipation. I have a feeling Goodreads makes authors' readerships jump up a LOT.

So, the books:
Click here for official Goodreads blurb.This one appears to be an Irish fairy tale. Note about Irish fae: they aren't just pretty little winged creatures. They are devious. You don't want to mess with these guys. This book is about Jenny, whose brother Tom was "swallowed whole" by the trees of the nearby forest. Years later, she ventures into the woods to find him, and has to navigate the treacheries of the fae in her quest. Sounds like there will be some romance too, with a moody fae type named Jack.
Alas, this one won't be out until August 16th.
This one sounds like a combination of Tangled and the Little Mermaid to me, although more mature than the Disney films. Evelyn Winters lives in an underwater society (but I don't think she's actually a mermaid). She was selected from hundreds of children for her perfect genes, to be "Daughter of the People" in her utopian society (called Elysium).  Then one day a Surface-Dweller (Gavin) stumbles into her home, and she finds out that everything she knows is a lie, and the woman she calls Mother is actually a monster. Together she and Gavin try to escape, but then she learns that "her own mind is a ticking time bomb." (???) I am very intrigued by this one, but it won't be out until November 12, 2012 (gah!!!!)

This one was inspired by Jane Austen's Persuasion (my favorite favorite Jane Austen book). A sci-fi version of Persuasion? Yes please! Set in the future after a genetic experiment killed off most of humanity, leaving it in the hands of Luddite leaders who have outlawed most technology. Elliot North (essentially, this is Anne) is a member of the upper class. Four years ago, she blew off her childhood sweetheart and former servant, Malakai "Kai" Wentworth. He is now a famous explorer (and yes, a captain) and it sounds like he is a revolutionary of some sort. Their society is on the verge of crumbling, and as a result Elliot is forced to rent out some land to Kai and his Cloud Fleet. She thinks this is their second chance, but Kai is intent on showing her what she missed out on by letting him go. For Darkness Shows the Stars comes out on June 12.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like some good picks! Most new books don't hit the library out here until a year or 2 after they are published it seems. I love goodreads! If I go to the library without my list of what people recommend I would be totally lost in the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps my grammar is terrible. My brain is not working haha.

    ReplyDelete