Sunday, April 14, 2013

Why I want a Goldfish

This year has been an excellent year.

I've been blessed with awesome roomies who have been my best friends.
And I've had not one but two of my siblings here in good old P-Town. Shauna lived with me, and Jason hung out with us at least once a week.
But in just two weeks, the winter semester ends, and all of these awesome people are leaving me!

I admit that I'm feeling a little bit down about this. I know I shouldn't... I lived in Provo alone (no family) for years and I was okay. I've lived with strangers before, and it always works out.

I'm sure it'll work out again, but I'm really going to miss everybody. And I'm going to have to push myself to be a lot more social than I have been lately... I've become a homebody who spends all her time with her roommates, which has been fun but won't work once all those roommates are gone.

Shauna knows I'm worried about this... We were at Walmart the other day, and she tried to talk me into getting a plant. You know, some little living thing to keep me company. We looked at lots of them, but... they all seemed to require lots of sunlight, and I'm not sure they can get that in my apartment. Also, the last plant we had died a horrible prolonged death. And then accidentally got abandoned on my grandma's porch.

So, naturally, I took it upon myself to wander over to the fish tanks! Because everyone knows fish are easier to take care of than plants!

I almost came home with one of these little guys:
Isn't he adorable?
I also spent a while considering the glofish... One of the world's only legal genetically modified pets! They had a little pink one... It was tempting.

But.... I know my housing contract specifies no pets, so I didn't bring home any critters. Also, I haven't had a pet fish since I was about 7. I think my mom did most of the work. I don't know anything about proper fish care! (And try googling it--it's apparently more complicated to keep a fish than I ever realized. Did you know each goldfish requires 10 gallons of water?!?!?)

Still... there's something nice about having a pet. I miss my dog like crazy out here. Someday I will live in a pro-pets apartment and get myself a gerbil or a guinea pig or something.

Maybe for now I should try a virtual pet? Whatever happened to those Tamagotchi things? :)

3 comments:

  1. Aww Shelece! You are so cute. I miss you. Tamagochi were such good pets. Mine died everyday so I started over with a new one all the time. Heehee :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam and I had a few fish. It was pretty cool except the tank was such a pain to clean! It eventually turned into " dishes or fishes?" One would do the dishes while the other cleaned the fishes.

    We caught some tadpoles too and put them in a bowl. Once they started sprouting legs I freaked out. I imagined coming home from class and having a bunch of frogs all over the kitchen. So I decided that the humane thing to do would be to let them go in the river. I later showed Sam where I let them go and he informed me that that it wasn't a river. It was a canal. Those poor tadpoles were washed up on some farmers potato field somewhere. oops. may they rest in peace.

    The end of a semester is always tough. Its hard to watch people go their separate ways. At the same time its exciting because you get to look forward to the future, and who knows what that will hold? An opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. More chances to learn from one another and to grow! Very bitter sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hillarious. "Also, the last plant we had died a horrible prolonged death. And then accidentally got abandoned on my grandma's porch."

    ReplyDelete