Today I stopped by my old grad lab to say hi to some friends. I almost never visit there anymore... It was weird going back.
For two years, that place was my WHOLE LIFE, and it's only been a little over a year since I left it. Going back there feels a bit like going home... but going back there also highlights for me everything that has changed since then.
I ran into one of my friends I haven't seen much since my grad school days. When we started our master's program, she didn't have any children. She had a baby in our second year. Today I found out she is pregnant with her second child... and when he's born, her daughter will be two years old.
That BLEW my mind! Where did all that time go?
It's interesting how our roles change as we get older. I still remember my grad student days clearly... but I'm not the same person anymore. I've grown and changed. It's a good thing, but for some reason it feels weird at the same time.
Life is always moving and changing. Mostly it's an exciting thing, but sometimes it makes me nervous. I guess I don't like not knowing what's coming next. The other day I caught myself wishing to be a kid again because back then, life made sense! My plans for the future weren't super concrete, but they didn't need to be. My only real concern was getting into BYU for college. I remember when I got here I was a little bit like, now what? It was scary realizing I hadn't planned much for my life past college. So I made plans for grad school, and for getting a job, and now here I am... but I understand now that most of your adult life can't be planned. There isn't any way of knowing what comes next. All you can do is trust God to lead you and just keep moving forward.
Just keep swimming! The best is yet to come! Speaking of the best, I just got back from Sheridan's annual wiener dog races. It was awesome! The funny thing is I kept scanning the crowd for your dog Max. Normally I am looking for people and tonight I was looking for dogs that I know. It felt like you and your sibs should have been there.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds really fun! Max would have to be a spectator though... He's a bit too old and fat to race. :)
Delete