Wednesday, September 10, 2014

BYU Inauguration



Yesterday I had the chance to go to the BYU Inauguration ceremony for the new BYU President, Kevin Worthen. Since BYU is a Church school, the First Presidency and Quorum of Twelve Apostles are all on the board of trustees. The entire First Presidency came, as well as Elder Nelson (he conducted), Elder Oaks, and Elder Holland (since they were past BYU Presidents). The Relief Society General President and the Young Women's General President were there too.

Shauna, Kristie, and I managed to get seats in the front row off to the side. The First Presidency and Elder Nelson came in the entrance right beside us--and all the General Authorities exited through that door later, so they all walked past just a few feet away! Shauna got a video, I'll have to see if she'll send me a copy to share.

After the GAs came President Cecil O. Samuelson and his wife, Sharon, came right past us. Pres. Samuelson has been President as long as I've been in Provo. He's always had a great love for BYU and all of the students here. I will miss him. As he walked out, the students gave him a round of applause for all of his service. I admit I teared up a little bit watching him go.

But I know the new President is called of God. He gave an amazing speech. I know he'll be an excellent President.

1 comment:

  1. I was so shocked to see Sharon Samuelson in a wheelchair. I hope she's doing ok! I also miss President Samuelson, but our area had a special meeting with President Worthen yesterday and I got a better sense of who he is and think he's a really top-notch, genuine and sincere man.

    ReplyDelete