Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Mitt Romney

So, Mitt Romney came to speak at BYU today.

Melissa and I headed up early to get good seats, and I snagged a couple for Shauna and Kristie too. We ended up about 6 rows back in the middle section.

It was crazy to see Mitt for real, after seeing him on TV so many times. Before he came, Melissa and I wondered what to do when he entered the room. For general authorities and dignitaries, we stand up quietly and wait until they are seated. But when Mitt came in, everyone erupted into applause, and soon almost everyone was on their feet.

BYU was super jazzed to have Mitt there. When the Dean got up to announce him as our speaker, people couldn't contain their excitement. "We are pleased to have as today's devotional speaker, former Governor of Massachusetts and former presidential candidate Mitt Romney." Applause and cheers so loud the Dean had to pause. Mitt smiled at all of us in return. "We are also pleased to be joined today by our special guest, Ann Romney, Mitt's wife." More enthusiastic cheering and applause. Mitt joined in and said something to his wife, which in my mind must have been very sweet, about how he appreciates her. "The Romneys also have many friends and family who have joined us in the audience." Again with the applause, just as loud and enthusiastic as the first round. Mitt cracked up. I did too. Yay, Mitt's friends and family!

The Dean commented that at this rate, they might have to cancel afternoon classes. That got the loudest cheers and applause of all.

And then of course, he also thanked the people who played the organ and lead the music for the opening hymn. Same thunderous applause for them. I thought it was hilarious.

Mitt shared a great message. You can read it in full here or even watch the video.

1 comment:

  1. I loved his talk. So glad we were able to attend this event in person.

    ReplyDelete