Sunday, March 15, 2015
Cinderella
The new Cinderella movie is lovely! They did a great job of honoring the original Disney film, while updating the story a bit and filling in some plot holes. For example.... watch the original Disney movie. You know that whole "This Is Love" sequence? Watch closely. The Prince and Cinderella don't actually speak until the clock strikes midnight. And then when they do speak, it comes up right away that they haven't exchanged names. Cinderella doesn't even realize she's with the Prince--he assumed she knew who he was so he didn't even introduce himself.
Spoiler alert: They do speak in the live action movie. :)
Actually, they switch up how they meet just a bit so it's clear the Prince is attracted to Cinderella because she is kind, not just because she is beautiful.
The theme of the movie is "have courage and be kind." I love that message. Cinderella is as she should be--kind to a fault, even to animals; optimistic even in the face of great suffering; and hard-working and willing to go after what she wants.
Sometimes she is taken advantage of for her kindness, and sometimes her optimism falters. But she carries on.
I feel like sometimes, strong women characters are the anti-thesis of this Cinderella character. They're tough as nails and they don't take crap from anyone.
I love that this movie takes a different angle, and instead shows kindness as a strength, an attractive characteristic. Being kind and sweet doesn't make Cinderella weak.
I hope my little girls like this movie someday because I think Cinderella is a great role model!
Labels:
movies
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment