Monday, November 9, 2015

Saying Goodbye



I think my dog might be dying today.

He's very old--15, and his breed usually lives to only 13. His health has been deteriorating a bit the last little while... His left back leg doesn't work right anymore, and sometimes he falls over. But this still caught me off guard.

This morning, we just couldn't get him out of bed. I gave him his favorite wet dog food, and he licked it a couple times, took a couple tiny bites, and then ignored it. He can't walk at all today. He's just lying in a heap and breathing very shallowly.

I looked up these symptoms online and of course it took me to an article about how to know when your dog is dying. It looks like the only thing a vet could do would be to put him to sleep.

All I can do is stay close by him and pet him and tell him how much we love him. I wish so much that I could do more. And I'm still hoping that somehow, he'll snap out of it, and go back to the way he was yesterday. But I don't think that's going to happen this time.

This is a weird blog post, I know, but writing it out is helping me somehow. Right now it's just me and Max. Shauna and Mom will be back here soon but for now it's just me keeping watch.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Shelece! I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sure Max appreciates you staying by his side. He definitely knows how much you love him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know just how not fun this situation is. :( I am here if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete