I've hit 6,000 words now! I'm still on a roll and hopefully I will stay that way.
There is a quote by Shannon Hale that I love: “Writing a first draft and reminding myself that I'm simply shoveling sand into a box so that later I can build castles.” That's resonating with me more deeply than it has before. Last night, I wrote a scene with a teenager character who basically spewed out a lot of exposition. It's not something I'm going to want to keep in the final draft, but it gave me a lot of insight into who he is and what his motivations are. I can see there are some flecks of gold in it that I could refine... later, but for now I'm charging ahead and still telling the story. When it's done, I'll go back and turn this sand into a castle.
So proud of you! Seriously this is great news! I've been looking forward to one of your castles for a long time now and you're on your way!
ReplyDelete