Today, clicking side links through a variety of writing articles, I came across this one:
How I Plot A Novel in 5 Steps. It has some basic ideas that I really want to try out! In the writing world, they talk about pantsers and plotters--people who just figure out their stories as they go, and people who plan everything out ahead of time. I've always been more of a pantser, but all to often I write myself into corners, or draft what I think is a great opening... but have no idea what to do next. That's pretty much where I am at the moment, actually. :)
This author likes to start her plot with two things in mind, the beginning, and the end. I usually have a beginning, a great idea of the relationship complexities of the characters, a more iffy idea of the plot... but right now, at least, I don't have a clear goal for the ending. If I don't know where I'm going, then how can I expect to figure out the rest?!?
So, first goal: begin with the end in mind. How do I want things to end?
Second goal: (dang it, this isn't in the blog post I linked to, and I can't seem to retrace my steps to find the right post)--write out a list of all the scenes that I already have in my head, things I really want to have in the novel. Just fling them out, in no particular order... yet. Then, once I have my list, take a look at my beginning and my end, and sort the scenes into an order that makes scene. Watch for unexpected connections between scenes.
Third goal: Start filling in the blanks! Take the approach of, so what happens next? And then? And then? Just draft it all out in a loose outline, so I have an idea where I am headed, until hopefully, I've got a coherent structure.
Fourth goal: Write this puppy out! Let's achieve that lifelong goal of writing a book. It doesn't have to be particularly brilliant, and it doesn't even have to get published (although of course, that would be the ultimate dream). Let's just start by getting one written!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment