Hayley ventured with me down near Fort Carson to see that litter of dachshund puppies. I knew there was 1 boy and 2 girls, but I hadn't seen any pictures or anything. I was delighted to discover they are longhaired dachshunds--very pretty little animals, and supposed to be the sweetest of the dachshund variations because of the spaniel in their blood.
The little boy was a beautiful brown color with other colors mixed in (brindle, I think it's called?), and then there were two little black girl puppies, one with a splash of white on her chest and one that was solid black. Hayley and I sat on the couch as the puppies came into the room. I scooped up the little boy and she scooped up one of the girls. The little girl left behind ran around our feet whining until I scooped her up too (which took me about 2 seconds, don't worry!).
![]() |
| It's hard to get a good pic of puppies because they move so much!! |
I asked some questions about the puppies' personalities. They said the boy was very playful and so was one of the girls, but the smallest girl was mild like her dad. Guess which one I immediately was the most interested in? :) Of course the two girls looked so similar, I'm not sure the one I picked in the end was the one they were talking about.
The sellers left to give us some privacy. We set the puppies on the ground and played with them. The little boy wasn't much interested in us. He was running around the room exploring on his own, a very independent puppy but perhaps not the cuddly lovebug I am looking for. The two sisters took turns climbing into my lap and Hayley's lap. One sister was a little more hyperactive than the other (the girl with the splash of white). The solid black puppy was more content to just cuddle with me, although she did run around and play with the others.
It was SO hard to pick. I think I spent half an hour watching them and feeling hopelessly smitten with them all. But in the end, I decided on my little cuddle buddy.
While I was filling out the paper work, the seller started to put them away, but then she brought back my puppy and put her in my arms. "I'll let you say goodbye." So I snuggled her for a minute and it really started sinking in... she's going to be mine. If she lives as long as Max, she'll be in my life until my mid-forties. I told her, "I'm gonna be your best friend!" And it will be true.
She was born on December 18, and she'll be ready to come home with me around Valentine's Day. I am planning on picking her up on February 19, after I get back from my trip to Melissa's wedding.
I've missed having a dog so much! I'm excited to have that in my life again. Now, I just need to decide what to name her...


Current top name contenders: Molly, Mimi, Missy, Gigi, Harper, Sadie, Pansy, and Willow. :)
ReplyDelete