Monday, January 9, 2017

Cougar Migration

Well, the day of the great Cougar Migration arrived, and Jason and Kristie headed back to BYU. It's crazy how empty the house feels without them, even though it wasn't that long ago they were both off on missions.

It's weird too hearing about their new roommates and classmates and courses. That was my life for 6 years! Provo was my life for 9. Hearing about their new adventures makes me a little heartsick for the good old days and the ways things used to be. BYU and Provo were part of my life for such a long time... By the end I started to believe things would never change.

But at the same time, I have moved on. And that's weird too. I've built a new life out here in Colorado Springs. I've reconnected with family and friends here. I had some great building experiences in my Provo wards and I loved them to death, but here in the Springs where there are fewer active members I've felt needed in a way I didn't there. I've faced new challenges and opportunities here and I've grown and changed so much.

Life is a crazy thing. It's only now, pushing 30, that I'm really understanding how very long it is and how much happens by the end. It'll be interesting to see what adventures come my way next. I am house shopping right now and looking for a dog (okay, I'm being more diligent about looking for a dog than looking for a house). I'm taking a step back and looking at my career and trying to figure out if I'm happy with the status quo, or if I need a change, or another degree (did I make the wrong call deciding I didn't want to go back for my PhD)? I've picked the next place I want to go to on my bucket list (Hawaii!) and I'm trying to lock down plans for that, preferably plans that coincide with my 30th birthday.

One of the things I miss most about my BYU days is that it was always so easy to see the next step ahead. Take these classes, do an internship, take the GRE, write a thesis. Life after college is so much messier and uncertain. I guess that's all part of the excitement of the journey.

1 comment:

  1. We hear a lot about how life is short. I think you're right to see that sometimes it is actually quite long. Memories are great to measure your progress, and revisiting old chapters can be fun, but don't forget “It does not do to dwell on [memories] and forget to live.” Picking a new direction is hard, but go you for being brave and charting out new frontiers. Way to be a trail blazer! (And I'm a little jeally your trail is going to Hawaii. ;) Good for you! )

    ReplyDelete