Sunday, February 26, 2017

My New Little Addition

Today marks one week since I brought my new puppy home! I've decided to call her Molly.

Here we are on the car ride home!
Shauna went in with me to pick her up. The teenage girl in the family carried her to me and she already had her little tail wagging as fast as it could and she immediately wanted to lick my face. (Puppies are the best!) She stayed at the breeder's 5 days longer than her siblings so I could make it to Melissa's wedding, and during that time they went ahead and separated her from her mama. That must have been hard on her but I do think it made our transition easier! She seemed to understand almost right away that this was her new home.
Checking out her new bed on the first night!


She didn't whine or cry or look for her mama--instead almost right away she accepted me as her new mama! She didn't even cry at all her first night--she whined for less than a minute, and then went to sleep and slept through the whole night in her new kennel.

She stays close to me. If I go out of her sight, she cries. If she can't get to me, she cries. (Every time I take a bath, she spends the whole time crying and trying to jump in the tub!) If I don't pay attention to her (like when I'm doing my hair in the morning) she cries. It's adorable and hard to keep up with at the same time. We're working on it. This morning while I did my hair, she just played with her toys at my feet. Progress!


Molly has two speeds. Running around playing with everything she can find, or passed out on my lap. There isn't really an in-between!





Enjoying her squeaky toys. It's hard to see, but she's got two stacked up here!
She's a brave little girl. She conquered stairs almost right away. She's a pro at running up stairs, but going down stairs is really hard--but she doesn't let that stop her. She'll run down the stairs, grunting and growling with determination with every step. She loves running underneath our furniture--the couches, the ottoman, the beds, my nightstand. It won't be long before she's too big to do that anymore. I think that's her dachshund burrowing instinct. :) They were bred to chase badgers down their holes.

She LOVES snow. Max used to hate it (probably cuz the poor little guy had no fur!) but she loves to run and play in it and dig in it.

I mean, she's afraid of some things. She hates loud noises, which so far include vacuums, hair dryers, the ice maker in the fridge, and my stomach growling.

She's much more vocal than Max used to be! When he was a puppy, he hardly made noise, except whining now and then. Molly is not afraid to whine, growl, grunt, or bark when it's appropriate. She likes to let us know what she is thinking!

We are still getting to know each other, but I love her already. It's great having a dog in the house again! And I'm happy she seems to understand she is my dog. :)




2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We should set up a puppy play time! This week is kind of crazy because this weekend is the Back to the Future Formal Ball I'm in charge of, but next week sometime maybe?

      Delete