Today Hayley and I went to a book signing with Laini Taylor, one of our favorite authors. She's written the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy and now a lovely new book called Strange the Dreamer.
Before the signing, one of the librarians who organized the event interviewed Laini for about an hour on stage.
I've wanted to be a writer ever since I was 3 years old. Now I'm almost 30, and I haven't even finished the novel I've been working on in various designs since I was 12! Sometimes I get very discouraged and figure that won't be part of my life. But the truth is... that's still a dream of mine. I don't need to be a famous author, but I'd love so much to FINISH a book and get it published!
Laini's talk left me feeling hopeful and energized. A few key things she says:
- She doesn't like writing because it's so hard! She loves having written, but she doesn't particularly enjoy the writing process. Oh man, I could relate to that. There are some things I really enjoy writing, but when it comes to trying to write my dream book, it is hard work and I get so frustrated because the words don't come out the way I want them to.
- She never finished a manuscript until she was 35. There's still hope for me!
- She always thought of herself as a writer, even though for a long time she wasn't doing much writing. (Just like me!)
- She doesn't plot extensively. She isn't a total pantser--she has some plot points planned out but she doesn't plot out every detail. I've been stressed about this recently and trying to outline too much--this reminds me that I don't have to do that because that's what works best for some people. A loose outline is fine.
- Beginnings are hard for her too. They take her a lot longer to write than the rest of the book. She tried several beginnings for Strange the Dreamer before she worked out the best one.
- Her beautiful, poetic text does not come easily or on the first draft.
I think I've been inspired to get back to work!
Oh, one last side note on my pic with Laini--it's hard to take a pic with someone seated while you are standing! I sort of bent my knees and squatted next to her, but I felt so ungraceful and ridiculous looking that I cracked up. A little bit into my laughing, I heard her laugh a little bit too awkwardly--probably wondering what my deal was. But it worked out, because they got this shot while we are both laughing and we look very genuinely happy.
Oh, one last side note on my pic with Laini--it's hard to take a pic with someone seated while you are standing! I sort of bent my knees and squatted next to her, but I felt so ungraceful and ridiculous looking that I cracked up. A little bit into my laughing, I heard her laugh a little bit too awkwardly--probably wondering what my deal was. But it worked out, because they got this shot while we are both laughing and we look very genuinely happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment