Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Grandpa Hansen

This last weekend, Trevor and I traveled to Pocatello for his grandfather's funeral. Trevor wrote a beautiful musical arrangement for the grandchildren to sing for the service, and he accompanied them on the piano. I think his grandpa would have loved it.

I didn't know Grandpa Hansen well, but in the time I got to spend with him, he was always so welcoming and loving. Of course I was a bit nervous joining a new family (I really wanted them to like me!), and it meant so much to me to be welcomed in with open arms.

He knew his death was coming, and he met it bravely. Trevor and I called him a week or so before his passing to say goodbye. He told us, "It's okay, I have lived a good life," and we could tell he meant it. He did his best to handle funeral preparations so his family wouldn't have to worry about it. My grandfather did that as well before he passed. It's a great final gift of love.

In the past few months, Ralph, President Monson, and now Grandpa Hansen have all passed on. Because of that, death is very much on my mind. What do I want to do with my life on the earth? What kind of legacy do I want to leave, and how do I want to be remembered? All three of these men were great men who changed people's lives for the better. I want to be like that someday too.

During our time in Idaho, we spent a lot of time with Trevor's extended family--aunts, uncles, and cousins (not to mention great-aunts and family friends!). At first I felt a little out of place, since I only knew a handful of people there and everyone else was related to each other. But they all went out of their way to make me feel welcome and like part of the family. I'm grateful for my in-laws, and I hope I can be as welcoming when our kids-in-law come along (looking pretty far ahead down the road, I know!)



No comments:

Post a Comment