When Trevor and I first moved in with Granny, we were really good about checking the weather every night so we'd know if we'd need to get up early to shovel the driveway. But this winter has been so dry that we gradually got out of the habit. So this morning as Trevor rushed out the door to a work meeting, we were shocked to discover 3-4 inches of snow outside!
I told Trevor I would take care of it. But it wasn't 8 o'clock yet, and when I checked the temperature, it was 4 degrees outside. I decided I'd wait and let the sun come up a bit before I shoveled. Granny was still asleep anyways.
I went downstairs and got ready for my day. I decided to put a full hour of work in before I did the driveway. But just after 9, I heard the front door close. I threw on my coat and gloves and ran outside to get the driveway shoveled. I found Granny out there bundled up, shoveling off the sidewalk. I started shoveling the driveway, but she looked up and insisted she didn't need any help. She thought the driveway would melt--she just wanted me to go brush the snow off my car. So I came down and helped her finish the sidewalk, but I couldn't convince her to go in! She is a powerhouse. I kept saying that I would take care of it, but she wouldn't have that. When the sidewalk was done, I switched to brushing off my car. I told her to go in, but the next thing I knew, she was on the other side of my car brushing away.
When we finished that, she drove her car around the block to charge it (a light got left on last night and she was worried about her battery). I tried to hurry and shovel off the driveway as much as I could while she was gone. Three or so inches of snow is a lot and I was afraid it wouldn't melt. Well, Granny came back and pulled into her garage. She lowered the door behind her. I thought she was going to give in and let me finish, but soon she emerged from the front door and told me that as long as I worked outside, she would too.
So, we just quickly scraped off the snow on Trevor's side of the driveway so he'll have an easier time when he gets home.
The woman is an energizer bunny! I hope I am like her when I'm her age.
I love granny! She is so inspiring!
ReplyDelete