I got a little furbaby just a few weeks before I met my husband. I love her to bits. I've always been a huge animal lover and left to my own devices, I'd probably have a million of them.
![]() |
| Just look at that sweet little face! |
As much as I love Molly, I love my husband more.
You wouldn't think that this would be a controversial opinion (and I know among my few blog readers, it is not) but holy cow, it can be. As we were working through our different opinions on pets, I thought, "We can't be the only couple that disagree on this" and off I went to consult the wisdom of Google. You'd be surprised how many posts there are out there urging people to prioritize pets over significant others. So many advice sites where people described situations similar to mine and were advised to end their relationship with the human, and in some cases, even their marriages, because their fur babies should come first.
I am writing this because just today I came across such a post--a married woman with two dogs and a husband that can't stand them. She asked for advice in resolving the situation. Overwhelmingly, people were advising her to divorce him and go find an animal lover instead. What the heck? I normally don't post out in the webs to random strangers, but I wrote in encouraging her to try to work through this difference. See a counselor, take a marriage class, try to take the other person's perspective. See if you can compromise! Some people don't like animals, and there is nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make them bad people.
I mean I love dogs, and I've always been taught that pets are for life. You keep them until their dying day and do your best to give them a good, happy life. But MARRIAGE IS FOREVER. Marriage is a much more serious commitment than adopting an animal. You do not dump your husband because he's not getting along with your dogs. How could anyone really consider that? But apparently it's not uncommon. How have we reached a point where people commit more to their pets than to their marriages?
I know everyone is not like that... Just... Argh. I hope my post to this lady today made a little difference. It probably didn't, but I had to try.

Ventured back to that forum weeks later to see if there are any updates on what that wife decided to do.
ReplyDeleteI didn't see any. I did find someone responding to my comment and letting me know how sad she thinks it is that we've compromised in our marriage that Molly will be my last pet. She thinks the only happy life is one with pets.
It's much too late to respond to her comment now, and really I don't want to (who needs a fight with a random internet person).... So I'll just post here.
I love animals. And I love my husband far, far more than I love animals. To me, a sad life would be giving him up in the name of furry friends.