Saturday, May 5, 2012

Growing Up

You always believe in other people, but that's easy. Sooner or later, you gotta believe in yourself, too, because that's what growing up is. It's becoming who you want to be. You have to try. -Gary, The Muppets
     Who knew that a quote from the Muppets could be such food for thought? Hahaha, but it was for me! Growing up is becoming who you want to be. As children, we all dream of what our lives are going to be like. We make big plans-to be a veterinarian, an astronaut, a movie star. When we get a little older, our dreams change. In school and then especially in college we discover our gifts and talents and we chart a more sure course. We start taking specialized  classes and training for careers that are a little more realistic. 
     But at some point, the preparation ends. It's our turn to be on stage and live life for real. And that's where I'm at. It's my time to put those dreams to work and actually make something of my life. It's time for me to become who I want to be. I CAN if I want to and if I truly put my mind to it.
Not all childhood dreams come true, of course, but every kid dreams of being a hero-the good guy in their favorite stories. (Well, at least MOST kids. :) If we do our best to make the world a better place, we CAN make a difference, even if it's a small one, even if it's one that doesn't go down into a history book.
     Sorry that this is a little cheesy... I'm writing this during the ending scene of the Muppets and all that cheesy, happy finale music is getting to me. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment