When I was a kid, I had a summer tradition. Every summer, after the 4th of July, I'd get a little frantic.
I'd feel like there wasn't much summer left before I had to go back to school. Instead of savoring the last bit of summer, I focused on how soon it would be over and stressed out for the last month. I got a little better about this as I got older... Unless there was a major life transition waiting for me in the fall (i.e. college, graduate school...)
Last year was the first summer where I didn't have to go back to school in the fall. But even then, there was a transition when September hit and I moved back to Provo (after an awesome summer in Colorado).
This summer is the first where there won't be any huge transition. I mean, I am moving to the apartment next door, which will be a bit of a pain because my contract in this apartment ends two weeks before I'm allowed to move over there. So instead of just carrying my stuff next store, I have to find a place to store it for two weeks, haul it over there, and then haul it back.
But... really, no big changes. I'm not going back to school in the fall. I'm not leaving my family to head back to Utah. I'm still just here. I'll get new roommates and new people will move into the ward, but most of my life situation will be the same.
So... that little part of me that is so sad the summer is ending? That part of me can chill out. Summer weather doesn't correspond exactly with when the school year starts. September is usually still very warm, and sometimes October is too! And otherwise... my life won't change too terribly much when the summer ends.
Whoa. This is SO much like me! Actually just today I was telling a coworker that I was stressing out a little that it was August because that meant summer was nearing an end which means it will be fall. And fall means that winter is just around the corner. Whew. I really get ahead of myself. Ok. I will try to slow down and enjoy more like you!
ReplyDelete