Wednesday, January 20, 2016

7,000 Words, Baby!

7,735 to be precise, written since January 1. My novel is 9,828 words long if you count what I wrote in 2015.

So obviously my pace has slowed a bit, but I'm still trekking along!

Online it says that Young Adult books usually max out around 80,000-100,000 words, so if we go by that, I'm about 10% of the way done.

Tonight I finished the opening segment of the book... a sort of extended prologue to what is going to happen for the rest of the book. It's incredibly raw and it will need lots of editing, but it does the gist of what I want it to. There's lots of good sand there for making castles later. And... I'm hoping if I complete the whole first draft before I revise (miracle of miracles), that I'll have a better sense of the big picture of the plot, so when I do go back and edit, I can tie it together more neatly and emphasize the themes I want more strongly and all of that good stuff.

Here's hoping I can keep keeping this up!! Sorry for all the blog updates, it helps keep me accountable if I keep reporting on my efforts. :)

4 comments:

  1. I seriously love that quote by Shannon Hale. And I'm sooo excited about your progress! That is a ton of words! Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't had an update on your writing in a while. I wondered how that's coming along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, round about February it slammed to a complete halt! I need to get back in the game for sure.

      Delete