Monday, October 23, 2017

Ralph

I just got word that my coworker Ralph Jones passed away today.

He was one of the pioneers of the Relationship Education movement, someone who'd been involved since the very beginning. Ralph was 94 and still working for our company. He seemed like the Energizer Bunny. Sometimes his health caught up with him, as it always does for someone his age, but... he always bounced back. Nothing could stop him.

Ralph was the sort of person who always had a kind word for everyone. When I was a new employee fresh out of school, he was a great mentor to me who helped me feel comfortable and appreciated in my new position. In some ways I thought of him as an adopted grandparent.

I will really miss him. The news hasn't quite sunk in yet. Since I telecommute from home, I don't see Ralph very often in person. I'm very grateful that I had the chance to go to San Diego last month for a staff meeting... I knew there was a chance it was the last time I would see him but I didn't really think it would be!

It's hard to keep up my workday knowing that Ralph has passed away. It feels disrespectful to go with business as usual, and doing work related things just makes me think about him even more. But--I also feel like the best thing I can to now to support his wife, Patty (my boss) is to carry on with our company affairs while she takes some time to recover from her loss.

Please keep Patty and all of Ralph's family in your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry! I'm glad he and Patty had so much time together, but no matter how long people are around it never feels like enough. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete