Thursday, April 28, 2016

Do I Believe?

Tonight I had a tender mercy. While I was getting ready for institute, I decided to turn on my phone and listen to a General Conference talk. I listened to President Monson's talk, "Choices," and then it rolled to the next talk, "Do I Believe?" by Bonnie L. Oscarson. I only had time to listen to just the beginning of that one.

Well, so I got to Institute. Our usual teacher is in the Naval Reserves, and he's been deployed, so we've had a string of substitutes. We had an excellent substitute tonight named Brother Webb who asked Lori to take care of figuring out the opening stuff--opening prayer, opening hymn, a devotional thought... Thing is, our class usually doesn't have a devotional thought. Brother Palmer just opens it up to the class, "What are some things you learned in your scripture study this week?" and one or two people will answer.

With Lori in charge... guess who ended up giving an impromptu devotional? Haha. Fortunately I had that conference talk fresh on my mind.

In the beginning of Sister Oscarson's talk, she shares the story of a two year old boy who had to be life-flighted to Primary Children's Hospital. His condition was very severe, and his life was at risk. His mom went with him in the helicopter, and as they flew over the valley, she caught sight of three temples. The thought went through her mind, "Do you believe it or not?"

Here's the mom's own words: "I had learned about the blessings of the temple and [that] ‘families are forever’ in Primary and in Young Women. I shared the message on families to the good people of Mexico on my mission. I was sealed to my eternal companion for time and all eternity in the temple. I taught lessons about families as a Young Women leader, and I shared stories about forever families with my children in family home evening. I KNEW it, but did I BELIEVE it? My answer came as quickly as the question popped into my head: the Spirit confirmed to my heart and mind the answer I already knew—I DID believe it!

“At that moment I poured out my heart in prayer to my Heavenly Father, thanking Him for the knowledge and belief I had that families truly are forever. I thanked Him for His Son, Jesus Christ, who made it all possible. I thanked Him for my son, and I let my Heavenly Father know if He needed to bring my little Ethan to His heavenly home, it was OK. I trusted in my Heavenly Father completely, and I knew I would see Ethan again. I was so grateful that in a crisis moment, I had the knowledge AND the belief that the gospel was true. I had peace.”

I've never experienced a trial so severe in my life. This woman's example is so inspiring to me. She had the faith to face down an Abrahamic trial and still say, "Thy will be done. You can take my son if you need him."

Pretty much all of us in institute are still in our decade of decision. We're making big choices right now that will have ramifications for the rest of our lives. And part of growing up is realizing life doesn't go as planned. Each of us is facing unique trials in our lives that we didn't plan on when we were little kids dreaming of being grown-ups.

But we need to have faith as this mother did. We need to realize that no matter what happens, Heavenly Father is there with us, and He is in control. In the end, everything will be made right, and we will be stronger for the trials we have gone through. We need to trust Him no matter what and keep forging ahead.

1 comment:

  1. "part of growing up is realizing life doesn't go as planned" I can definitely second that. I think that's been the defining theme of my adult life. I'm still learning how to be ok with that, but I think I've made a lot of progress, and I am happy that I've been made more flexible and tolerant because of it. 4 out of 5 stars, would do it again. ;)

    ReplyDelete