Saturday, April 2, 2016

Guys, I Want a Pet

I admit to wasting hours of my life lately researching different kinds of animals I could bring home. Dogs are still my favorite, of course, but Max lived to be 15 and a half. I just don't think I can make that kind of a commitment right now. Who knows where I'll be in 15 years? When I get a pet, I want to be able to keep it for its whole life.

So, I've been looking at small furry things... Gerbils and hamsters and the like. And watching the Humane Society page everyday. For a little while, there's been a rabbit on their page that is just the most adorable thing ever.

Meet Henry
Doesn't he just have the sweetest little face? And his description says he loves to be petted. Some rabbits don't like human contact, but this little guy does. The profile said he was currently at the Petsmart by Chapel Hills. Tonight, I decided I would go take a quick look for myself... See if he is as adorable in person (er... in rabbit?) as he looks online. See if he is friendly. I promised myself I could not take him home, no matter what.

So I went to Petsmart, and unfortunately I think I'm too late. I couldn't find him anywhere. I couldn't even find a rabbit display case anywhere. And of course I wasn't going to ask, because I knew that would put me on a very slippery slope that could lead to bringing home a bunny. Turns out, these guys live for up to 10 years. That's practically a dog's life span. I did laps around the store looking at every other animal. They probably thought I was casing the joint.

They had 3 adorable little guinea pigs, but unfortunately they don't seem to like each other. There's 3 of them and 2 igloos for them to hide in... so they were fighting over them, and there was this little white one with swirly fur that lost the fight and had to sleep out in the open. I felt so bad for that little guy... I almost took him home.

But I made it out of Petsmart without any furry little critters... and then I stopped by Petco because Petsmart was sold out of hamsters and gerbils, and I needed to see all my options, you know?

Usually when I walk by the hamster and gerbil displays, I am completely ignored. But this time, this adorable little girl looked straight at me... then she ran up to the glass and jumped up, reaching for me with her cute little paws. It was adorable. I started thinking maybe I'd found the one. Then I gave in to my instagram instincts and got out my camera... The sudden movement freaked her out and she ran back into her little igloo.


And then I wandered to the Gerbil cage, where I found this sweet little guy. He wasn't quite as friendly. He'd stand up on his hind legs and look at me, get nervous and run for cover, run back and look at me, and then run away again.


Yeah... I think at this point, it's only a matter of  time... I'll be taking one of these little guys home any day now!

3 comments:

  1. Cute! I took the family to look at guinea pigs after our chat. Luckily the store was sold out or k would have convinced me to take one home! I haven't had the nerve to go back. We will just have to come ebb visit yours ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. So many! Potentials include: Fuzz, Meeko, Ewok, Tribble, Darcy, and Valentine. With more names occurring to me at every moment, it seems!

      Delete